Maidstone

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Maidstone

Postby martin » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:05 pm

Another good unbeaten run comes to an end despite an "alamo" type finish to the game as Hawks pushed for the equaliser.
Both teams started fairly well and it felt like it might be a real end to end battle, but we seemed to lose our way a bit after 15 minutes or so and we were struggling to assert ourselves. Maidstone looked a bit sharper and more aggressive in that period and I wasn't surprised when they took the lead.
Shortly after a defensive howler saw them go further ahead ensuring 2nd half would be a real struggle.

We have witnessed some good reactions from our side after half time in a few previous matches...and although the response wasnt immediate, from the hour mark onwards we really began to crank up the pressure. We started to play with some of the confidence you would expect of a team who had won 6 out of previous 7 games, and were creating numerous good opportunities and had several set pieces.
Maidstone were defending very well though and that, along with ricochets and goal mouth scrambles not quite falling our way meant it wasnt until the 77th minute that we managed to breakthrough (well worked goal and great finish from Benny Read...who had a positive impact when he came on).
That goal sparked belief that another would follow, and despite more pressure and a couple of genuine chances it wasnt to be today. Great reflex save (or perhaps it just hit him, couldnt be sure from my angle) by their keeper was the very last moment of the game.

Overall, paid the price for a bit of a lacklustre first half with a few key players (Straker, Alfie and Jonah) not having their best games. Great effort in last 30 minutes...but credit to opposition today for brave back to wall defending in that period.

Weather permitting January has some massive fixtures...we responded really well to last defeat- anything like that over next 6 or 7 games would put us in superb position going into last 3 months
martin

Re: Maidstone

Postby ade » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:44 pm

perfect summing up :geek: :thumbup:

superb last ditch save....
celebrated author of 'prolific garbage on the beasts forum, 2008- july 2013'
ade

Postby baz » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:30 am

First half we weren't at the races, very lacklustre and scrappy play from the Hawks. Dos seems keen on playing a 3 up front line-up, although Keds appears to play a bit deeper, and to be honest I haven't seen us play well in that formation. I dont think Sam or Strakes got over the halfway line to give us width either so play was always concentrated down the middle, which played into Maidstone's hands.

Second half with Benny and Nicky introduced we were able to stretch the game more and create pressure on the Maidstone defence who held out well. I know Nicky Bailey is no spring chicken but he would be one of the first names I would have on the teamsheet. He gives the protection that allows the full backs to get forward. Unfortunate not to grab an equaliser towards the end both chances falling to Josh, the second one a great reaction from the keeper to block the ball with his foot when he must have been unsighted.

With Wealdstone also losing we haven't lost any ground, but the next two home games will be massive so if we play like we did in second half then I'm confident of a positive result.

COYH
baz

Postby Pompeyred » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:23 am

having seen Maidstone twice this year , and twice last year i dont know how we didn't adapt our game plan..... dont play it in the air near their two giant centre backs

they have one way of playing, win it at the back and hoof it long for the fast forwards to chase, i think i could play in midfield for Maidstone.... all the ball does is sail over your head, you dont actually have to kick it!

we were poor in the first half, as good as we've been this year, that was as bad as its been. Every team will have an off day now and again, we could and maybe should have still got a draw however. lets hope it was a one off, im sure it will be. We showed in the second half how to beat them, play a formation that suits us, get the ball down, pass it around them and get the ball in the box from wide areas. its looks a simple game writing it here and in the second i thought we got back to keeping it simple.

looking forward to Gospit on Tuesday and Hemel next week.
Pompeyred

Return to Hawk Lounge