2nd Round Draw for National WF Challenge

Discussion forum for the over-50 walking football team.

2nd Round Draw for National WF Challenge

Postby Probably Shirts » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:25 pm

Hot off the e-press:
The draw for the next round of the WFU National Tournament has been released, and our opponents are:
Lambourne Golfers, Uxbridge Amblers, and AFC Wimbledon (without Vinny Jones I hope!).

I’m not yet sure what the format will be, but somehow I think we all need to play each other and see who comes out on top. Maybe we can organise another of our festival-type days, or else we will have to agree a format and have individual matches against the other teams, possibly even home and away. All up in the air at this stage.

Obviously I’ve only just received this info, so haven’t a clue what the other teams thoughts might be.

I’ll have a word with Pompey ITC who have played Wimbledon and see if we can get any tips/pointers about them! 8-)

Matches to be completed by 30th September.
Probably Shirts

Re: 2nd Round Draw for National WF Challenge

Postby Probably Shirts » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:21 am

Match Report: 11/9/16 Walking Football United National Competition, South East Zone C (Hillingdon)
Having cruised past Gosport in the previous round, the Many Shades were drawn against AFC Wimbledon, Uxbridge Amblers, and Lambourne Golfers in the next round. It took an age to sort out a date that everyone could agree on, and once we did, Lambourne dropped out as they had a golf tournament they couldn’t miss!
So it was that on a hot and sunny Sunday morning we gathered at the magnificent Hillingdon Sports and Leisure complex (speak to your local and county councillors, and your MP — get them to go up and see what a proper Local Authority facility looks like!)
We watched Uxbridge thrash Wimbledon 7-2— and with the best will in the world it didn’t look much like the ref and his linesman were too bothered about penalising most of the rules that had been laid down before it all started. Especially running. And tackling from behind.
Next up was ourselves against Wimbledon, and we were disappointed to lose that one 3-0. In the last game we played Uxbridge, and they literally rang rings round us. Especially a little winger they had who played like Christian Nanetti on speed. We were 6-1 down at half time (great goal from Steve Hall), and decided “Sod it, we can play five a side too.” Eventually it finished 8-1. With Pete Dolamore and Stew Russell in the side, both notorious on the training ground for alleged running, you'd have thought we could keep up, but even they couldn't match the speed around the pitch of the opposition.
Unless we all go to Usain Bolt’s training camp, next year we’ll enter the 60+ section of this competition, where at least the running might be a bit slower.
Harsh lessons were learned by Dave Rowbrey, Ian Warren, Pete Dolamore, Stew Russell, Steve Hall, Rich Bishop, Jeff Pickering, and Martyn Bishop. Thanks to Cathy Mitchell for coming to watch!
Probably Shirts

Return to Hawks Walking Football