The Bookworm’s Blog

The place to discuss anything other than Hawks related topics. Register to post.

The Bookworm’s Blog

Postby sheemee » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Choosing the next book to read

To help me make the decision where to spend my money and time, I regularly use four websites.

The first is ‘fantastic fiction.’ It doesn’t sell anything. It only promotes and informs.

This site is great for a few reasons. First it gives lists in alphabetical order of a great many authors. The next reason is that when you choose an author it will give you a list of all the books from that author with a synopsis of many of them.

Then it will tell you in what format it’s available in; paperback, hardback, audio and kindle. Then, if there are any new books in the pipeline from the author and possible publication dates. Just trawling through this site is an entertainment in itself and I love it.

Next up is the Amazon site. This often gives you the chance to read the first chapter of the book you are interested in. Also, if you have a Kindle Reader, the site will give you a ‘one click purchase service’ on any book which is available in the kindle library.

If you don’t have a Kindle Reader then there are other ways to get access to get digital books from Amazon’s Kindle Store using Amazon’s many applications. At present Amazon have apps available for Windows, Mac, iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows Phone 7 and Blackberry.

Then there is the ‘Audible’ site, run under the Amazon organization. This gives you great synopsis on all the available audio books. It also has a sample to listen to, sometime a quite long extracts.

Last, the biggest second-hand online bookstore in the country, eBay, where you will find far more books for sale than any store, online or in the high street. There can be some great bargains to be had in there if you browse for long enough.

This is what I use for my ideas and get loads of entertainment at the same time with no commitment whatever to spend money.

Good hunting.

PS - I’m currently reading digital freebies of Zane Grey’s classic early westerns and listening to the audiobook by Graham Hurley who is the author of Portsmouth crime novels. This one’s on Bazza McKenzie, the city’s fictional premier drugs lord and it’s called ‘The Price of Darkness.’ All 15½ hours of it.
sheemee

Re: The Bookworm’s Blog

Postby mark c » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:01 am

i'm a big fan of Graham Hurley's as well , i'm saving the last of of the Faraday-Winter-McKenzie novels for me holibobs in a couple of weeks !!!!!

The Hawks get a mention in one of the earlier books in the series.

I've just finished Ian Rankin's latest book "The impossible dead" featuring DI Malcolm Fox , a worthy successor to the almost irreplaceable DI John Rebus.

this thread is a pleasent change from worrying me nads off about a relegation battle!!!!
There's no such things as Rock stars, there's just people who play music , some of them are just like us and some of them are dicks
mark c

Postby nath » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:52 am

Sheemee a good website that might well interest you would be Goodreads. i'm on there myself and i can vouch for it :thumbup:

But yeah now for a bit of shameless self advertising... I'm a writer myself and i've just released my first book into the market. It's called Fire and Ice and can be found on most online retailers such as Amazon, Waterstones, Foyles etc...

It's available on Kindle or bog standard paperback and the storyline is primarily Havant/Portsmouth based with the hawks getting a couple of references throughout. Please check it out :thumbup:

Nath
And then darling, just for one day, yeah, we can fight and we can win
And if only for a little while, we could insist on the impossible
nath

Postby Slipperyshe153 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Wow! That’s very, very interest.

Can’t wait to read it but after the current read, which is called ‘Vendetta’ by Paul Ferris & Reg McKay (the inside story on gang-land crime in Glasgow).

I’ve downloaded your book from the Kindle library all ready to start.
Slipperyshe153

Postby nath » Thu May 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks slipperyshe, i appreciate it :thumbup:
And then darling, just for one day, yeah, we can fight and we can win
And if only for a little while, we could insist on the impossible
nath

Postby mark c » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:02 am

There's no such things as Rock stars, there's just people who play music , some of them are just like us and some of them are dicks
mark c

Return to Off Topic