Trevor Brock's interview in the ''News''

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Trevor Brock's interview in the ''News''

Postby emsworthhawk » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:14 pm

What are peoples thoughts on the comments in the above article regarding the ''merger''?
Personally I am not that bothered as what came about has given me a decent standard of football to watch for a number of years , however I do know that this is an emotive subject for many , so I would be interested in how various people feel.

The one thing that I o find baffling is , if there was no official merger , why did the contracts of the Waterlooville players and staff have to be honored ?

Surely if there was no merger then Waterlooville F.C. just ceased to exist and they would therefore become free agents ?
emsworthhawk

Re: Trevor Brock's interview in the ''News''

Postby Brocky » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:03 pm

There were two angles to this, the Law of the Land and then Football "law"
In terms of the first there was no merger, all that happened was that Havant Town FC changed its name to Havant and Waterlooville FC.
From the FA viewpoint, the two former clubs wished to gain the benefits of just being one team. The FA condition made was that the new Havant and Waterlooville had to honour the outstanding contracts of both clubs.
Some of the older supporters will know that the Directors of the old Waterlooville FC Ltd continued to function for several years after 1997-8. Reasons for this can only be guessed at, but all I can say is that the new Hawks set-up had nothing whatsoever to do with the running of the old Waterlooville FC company after the name-change.

I could write a book on this!
Brocky

Re: Trevor Brock's interview in the ''News''

Postby emsworthhawk » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:24 pm

I am sure you can Trevor !
It is obviously a bit more involved than just changing the club name ( and a lot different to what many imagined ) so thanks for a little bit of enlightenment
emsworthhawk

Return to Hawk Lounge