Opening 4 Games

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Opening 4 Games

Postby Pompeyred » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:12 pm

Welling - won without breaking sweat.
Hampton - tried to lose it with defensive lapses
Chippenham - still wouldn’t have scored if we were playing now
Ebbsfleet - monster effort after a fast start. Dos as angry as I’ve ever seen.

3 hits, one miss then.

Comfortable at home to Welling, literally looked a class apart, 3 nil flattered them I thought. New signings fitted in well (so many of them again!) we are committed to playing 3412 with the width coming from wing/full backs. I’d be very surprised if one of them, joe Newton isn’t playing league football very soon

Hampton we looked in command of the game, one nil up until they scored with their first attack and from them on it was an even contest, the penalty came from a square ball across the back, Newton was filling in on the right so green was out at left wing back, hard for him to come in and play there and we didn’t look comfortable. They missed the penalty which gave us a boost and we kept going to snatch a late winner, wall tapping in

Chippenham… well we bloody tried hard and that’s all you can ask for I guess, for some reason we lumped it long instead of passing the ball to each other. They were organised and full off effort, credit to them for that as they nullified our arguably superior footballers with ease, the keeper didn’t really have a shot to save. Again due to injuries the defence was imbalanced but it was good to see passley back at half time

Ebbsfleet, if there’s a better footballing team at this level than Ebbsfleet I’ve yet to see it. That doesn’t mean you win games though. Skill, effort, hard work and not being too bad ourselves meant we won. Fast start and scored 2 in the first 5 mins from then on Ebbsfleet passed the ball to death. We stood firm though, Rooney in midfield was an absolute beast breaking up the play and billy Clifford ran his socks off - they all did in fact. We had a plan to press when they had the ball and it generally worked well winning the ball in good places. Second half we were under the cosh as expected but should have scored again and had a penalty. The ref had lost the plot late on

4 games, 9 points..
Pompeyred

Re: Opening 4 Games

Postby Ed Harris' Pint » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:00 pm

Hard to argue against 3 wins in the first 4 games! I think it's going to be important to keep winning straight off the bat as it looks like Dartford are going to be the team to beat for that automatic position!

As evidence, Dorking are already 10 points behind and many would have had them as one of the favourites
Ed Harris' Pint

Return to Hawk Lounge