Why are we conceding goals so late

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Why are we conceding goals so late

Postby CyprusHawk » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:04 pm

Last 2 games 2-0 against Horsham conceded in injury time but held on to get to next round then again today 2-0 up with 90mins on clock surely 3 pts but alas 2 goals in 2 injury time minutes meant we left Draper Tools Stadium with just a point!! Gutted! Maidstone missed a penalty I understand so we could have lost! We needed that 3rd goal!! Can't believe 3 goals conceded in last 2 games all in injury time?!?!? We need to concentrate at the end because we are clearly not doing that!
CyprusHawk

Re: Why are we conceding goals so late

Postby montyles » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:08 pm

This reminded me of the Bradbury era, we go in front, think thats it, sit back, and then concede late. it seems to me we need to score at least 3 to feel comfortable.
montyles

Postby trevorfj » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:21 pm

I guess CyprusHawk is correct to identify a lack of concentration as the problem. But then Maidstone probably felt that a draw was no less than they deserved. Off the pitch management have been working miracles during difficult times. I salute them for the new surface and providing free streaming for season ticket holders. There are lessons here for Premiership and Championship clubs. A repeat of last season's home form would be disappointing and poor value for money. Come on you Hawks, pull your socks up and get stuck in for 90+ minutes. I notice that three ex-Hawks players each scored for Dorking Wanderers who top the table. I hope it proves to be a long season and a successful one for the Hawks.
trevorfj

Postby CyprusHawk » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:53 pm

In fact 3 ex Hawks got all the goals in the Dorking 3-1 win against Slough - as Ed Harris scored an own goal as well! Wow!
CyprusHawk

Postby Allen » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:41 pm

Concentration, fitness, not good enough, management, arrogance, fatigue, etc the net has 100s of reasons why teams concede in the last few minutes. Worth a google.

Half time of a marathon is 20 miles, a 72 hole golf championship is with 9 to go, of a 400 metre race is with 100 to go ETC ETC So strange to think half time of a football match is after 45 minutes !
'
For me the second half starts at 80. That's where we judge the modern manager. They take the glory, they take the kicking. So for me the dugout needs to work out what's going on and play out the game.
Portsmouth Senior Cup Winners 2015 & 2017; Runners-Up 2016
Allen

Return to Hawk Lounge