Hampton and Ricamond

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Hampton and Ricamond

Postby martin » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:50 pm

Little to add to the managers interview really. A hard fought win in tricky blustery conditions against potentially difficult opposition who have real pace on the counter, and who possibly slightly edged the opening half- even if we did have the best chance of the first 45 minutes with their keeper saving well from Beckwith's header.
If ever a game felt like the first goal would be crucial, then this was certainly one- even from relatively early on.

Our second half changes did seem to add some energy and extra urgency into our play and it began to feel like maybe we might be the team to grab that important opening strike. Thankfully we did and what was particularly pleasing was that it looked like the players believed they could see the game out once we were ahead.

On a day when defensive solidity was there to admire it was fair enough that man of the match went to Dean Beckwith, he was the stand out performer at the back for me. However, I thought the best performance overall was Wes Fogden...his constant effort and energy, his repeated winning of the ball back for us, his creativity and of course his vital finish to put us ahead summing up just how important he is to our hopes for remainder of season.

In terms of our aim to secure a top 3 finish and avoid the first round of players then there were some handy other results today also. Although as regards to our "slim" title challenge Wealdstone turning their game around to win again was a blow. Having said that, if we can get through next 2 games without losing ground on them I reckon the run in from there on could start to get pretty interesting.
martin

Re: Hampton and Ricamond

Postby ade » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:34 pm

top-notch pal! :thumbup: :clap: :geek:
celebrated author of 'prolific garbage on the beasts forum, 2008- july 2013'
ade

Postby Pompeyred » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:15 am

I agree Wes was very unlucky not to win MOTM but ive no major disagreement with Dean Beckwith winning it, he had his best game in a hawks shirt and played very well.

The 3 5 2 formation that worked so well at Billericay didn't really work this week, i thought it was more a 5 4 1 as Jonah was isolated on his own up front with none of the midfielders being able to get up and support him, what was pleasing to see was the management team also recognised this quickly and shifted formation twice in the first half and then made 2 early substitutions at half time, ending the game 442.

It was one of those games where the first goal was always going to win it, was it relief or celebration when it went our way im not sure! to be fair we were much the better team in the second half and it was a deserved 2 nil win.

Wealdstone won again but the league winners title has gone in all reality, we can only influence our own games, keep our nerve and if we end up in the play offs so be it, we've nothing to fear and none of the other teams will be looking forward to playing us.
Pompeyred

Postby ade » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:44 am

Pompeyred wrote:Wealdstone won again but the league winners title has gone in all reality,

I think not mate :!: :shh:

27/ 30 points to play for?

not saying we will but this hawks squad is more than capable of winning our last 9 games....

we'll give it a real go and see where it takes us :geek:

if not, let's get 2nd. and turn westleigh into a rockin' BEARPIT for 2 games :!: :!: :evil: :twisted:
ade

Postby Pompeyred » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:59 am

ade wrote:
Pompeyred wrote:Wealdstone won again but the league winners title has gone in all reality,

I think not mate :!: :shh:

27/ 30 points to play for?

not saying we will but this hawks squad is more than capable of winning our last 9 games....

we'll give it a real go and see where it takes us :geek:

if not, let's get 2nd. and turn westleigh into a rockin' BEARPIT for 2 games :!: :!: :evil: :twisted:

the optimist in me certainly isn't conceding it yet mate, i think im just tempering my own enthusiasm, at half time on Saturday when they were 1 nil down it was game on.....

as you say there is still a heck of a lot of points to play for!! :thumbup:
Pompeyred

Postby ade » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:34 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: 8-) 8-)
ade

Return to Hawk Lounge