TIME TO GO IM AFRAID !

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

TIME TO GO IM AFRAID !

Postby raps » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:51 pm

I don't know what the clubs plans are in terms of moving ground, but I really think it's time to move on and the club look to getting a 3G Pitch layed at West Leigh Park !. I've been in and around the "Havant" club since 1978, as player, groundsman, bar manager. Ahh & walking footballer !. When we moved to Then called Bartons Triangle in the 1982-83 season we knew the pitch was gona be a problem. Me being a local boy, can tell you the field use to be one big slope from the church down to the now clubhouse. And unfortunately at the bottom layed the stagnate mud & water. When the club were putting new drainage in back in the early days
We were digging up bike frames, car tyres, ect. The club has spent so much money on the pitch, I think now is the time to move forward with the 3G pitch. I know it's not everyone " cup of tea". But I think it's the only answer to the problem pitch.
We use to play in 3 inches of mud on it back in the day, and we loved a good battle ! but now footys moved on and there's a lot more money involved, an an expected entertainment value. & I agree with the manager, you ain't gona see Barcelona on the heavey pitches. I'm sure there's FA grants ect that can help fund the pitch, and the club would benefit with letting the pitch out to the community when there not using it. P.S I d just like to apologise to any notice board members if I upset them with my Sppelllingssss and Grrrammmmaaa. It's just the way I was brought up ! :lol:
raps

Re: TIME TO GO IM AFRAID !

Postby PO6_Hawk » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:52 pm

It's funny isn't it, although games were called off due to the pitch/weather there was never any moaning about the pitch or suggestions of moving to 3G surfaces during the back to back promotions or season in the conference?
Then a drop back down to Conference South and there are far more experts!

Whilst I agree that artificial surfaces are probably the way forward in terms of fewer postponements, less maintenance and potential revenue, unfortunately it's all down to finances.
I'm not sure the time frame on laying a new surface, is it achievable in a close season?
I know of teams far lower in the pyramid system laying new surfaces and playing their first 6/10 fixtures 'away'. Not sure the league would let that happen so high up though.

Ultimately it's down to finances. Listening to Slough fans hark on over the season and indeed last night about how 'they' have a 4G pitch. Lets not forget they play in a council owned stadium hence paid/contributed nothing towards it!
For Westleigh Park whilst i'm sure some funding can be brought in, the rest will have to come from the club/benefactors pockets hence having to pay back that debt over the coming years.

There are also a number of artificial surfaces in the local vicinity. Apart from being the home of the Hawks, what draw would Westleigh Park have that other colleges, gyms, sports centres etc... don't have to entice it's private hire to help generate income from it?
PO6_Hawk

Postby ShatnersBassoon » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:58 pm

Doswell is in charge. There will be a 3G pitch within 2 years.
ShatnersBassoon

Postby friartuck » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:38 pm

Whilst I agree the pitch hasn't been great when we have deluge, I cant see a 3G pitch being installed anytime soon. Personally I don't like them (only my personal view), but also they do prevent a club from going forward in the future. 3G pitches cost in access of £450K even with FA funding of around 30% its still a lot of money to find for not a lot of end gain. You cannot proceed past the national league and to remove the pitch and install a new grass pitch would cost a dam sight more than the £450K. Any money you would earn from a theoretical promotion to football league would be swallowed up. It only has a life span of around 10 years and actually requires more maintenance than grass. It has to be brushed, watered and sanded on a very regular basis. Just look at Maidenheads pitch :shock: or Worthings? Also you do not earn that much from them, again you only need to look at Eastbournes model to see how they are doing.

During our promotion from Ryman I don't think we had any games called off? The pitch covers do work but if for some reason the pitch isn't covered at the correct times (ie Xmas day) and we have a heavy rain fall you can loose the pitch in the long term. We have had one of the wettest winters on record which certainly hasn't helped and you cannot cover the pitch for long periods or it kill the grass with a fungus. The answer is better and improved drainage which i'm sure the club are looking into...…………… but nothing comes free in this world :roll:

Even now the club are constantly getting the pitch verti drained and doing all they can with the current pitch, at the end of the day evey game called off is a direct loss revenue because ulimtately you wont get the same crowds for a postponed game.

Onwards and upwards
COYH
friartuck

Postby ShatnersBassoon » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:43 pm

friartuck wrote:Whilst I agree the pitch hasn't been great when we have deluge, I cant see a 3G pitch being installed anytime soon. Personally I don't like them (only my personal view), but also they do prevent a club from going forward in the future. 3G pitches cost in access of £450K even with FA funding of around 30% its still a lot of money to find for not a lot of end gain. You cannot proceed past the national league and to remove the pitch and install a new grass pitch would cost a dam sight more than the £450K. Any money you would earn from a theoretical promotion to football league would be swallowed up. It only has a life span of around 10 years and actually requires more maintenance than grass. It has to be brushed, watered and sanded on a very regular basis. Just look at Maidenheads pitch :shock: or Worthings? Also you do not earn that much from them, again you only need to look at Eastbournes model to see how they are doing.

During our promotion from Ryman I don't think we had any games called off? The pitch covers do work but if for some reason the pitch isn't covered at the correct times (ie Xmas day) and we have a heavy rain fall you can loose the pitch in the long term. We have had one of the wettest winters on record which certainly hasn't helped and you cannot cover the pitch for long periods or it kill the grass with a fungus. The answer is better and improved drainage which i'm sure the club are looking into...…………… but nothing comes free in this world :roll:

Even now the club are constantly getting the pitch verti drained and doing all they can with the current pitch, at the end of the day evey game called off is a direct loss revenue because ulimtately you wont get the same crowds for a postponed game.

Onwards and upwards
COYH

I presume you mean Maidstone rather than Maidenhead.

In terms of the club going forward in the future then you probably have high expectations and see Havant in the football league in less than 5 years. In the real world that's not happening, because resources wise we can't hope to compete with many of the sides in the National League. We need to establish ourselves in that league first. And the keeping of the pitch in good condition is no more than a grass pitch, but the real advantage is that it can be used all week. Players can train on it, it can be hired out, a club could groundshare and even beyond possible postponements you get a decent surface regardless of the weather conditions, rather than the really heavy pitches we're prone to between November and March. You can't predict the weather, so isn't it better to be prepared for what it throws at us rather than trying to fix problems it makes?

If the main reasons you wouldn't want one is "it will stop us getting into the football league" or "I don't like them" then I'd say that doesn't enhance the argument against it. Having seen various 3g pitches (aside from Carshalton's which is the cheapest one there is and it shows), you seriously don't notice it after 5 mins and the football on it is actually a little faster so usually it's a better watching experience. And like I said before, we have Doswell in charge, so it will happen.
ShatnersBassoon

Postby ade » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:28 pm

MISTER Doswell to you ya waffle stomp! :shh: :wave: :thumbup:
celebrated author of 'prolific garbage on the beasts forum, 2008- july 2013'
ade

Postby Andy S » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:29 pm

To be fair Mr Shatner I think the chairman’s son is entitled to his opinion about his dad’s football club. Would hate it myself if we got an artificial pitch - unless perhaps it was a million quid-plus hybrid half and half like Boreham Wood. Not going to happen. Football is about blokes in muddy boots.
Andy S

Return to Hawk Lounge