Sluff!

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Sluff!

Postby Pompeyred » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:34 pm

Well that was a bit wet.... is that all that happened? ;)

So, the game should have either been called off at 1pm or played to the end. Total farce the away bench moaning and shouting at 2 nil but quite happy at 1 nil. The sight of their number 8 celebrating as if they’d won the league was a poor poor show. The rain had actually stopped, the pitch was exactly the same condition as 5 minutes earlier and wasn’t going to get any worse, the ref got bullied and made a poor decision, not just because we were winning he just made a poor decision full stop. I was stood near their goalie at the end and he said it was rubbish they had come off

The game was typically hard fought, we were always in control of it, I keep saying this but how are slough second In this league? Very very average......at best, Let’s hope we smash them for 6 in the replayed game
Pompeyred

Re: Sluff!

Postby King of Spades » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:38 am

If they game had been postponed before I dont think anyone would have complained. If the referee called it during the downpour at the start of the second half people would've been disappointed but I think understand it. What you dont do is wait 10 minutes after the rain has completely stopped, and then decide to call it off immediately after someone scores what was probably a decisive goal. If it was playable for the last 20 minutes it was playable for the next 20 minutes, no more rain means its not getting worse! Slough celebrating the whistle as though they'd won was pathetic

the game that was played followed similar patterns as other home games, edged the first half and were well on top in the second. Bit fortunate for the first goal but also hit the post & Jonah should've had another so a lead was deserved
One of the more bizarre offsides you'll see as Kedwells shot hit Ayunga after he went for the initial cross. Don't think the officials knew what to make of it at first as the assistant was slow to flag and the referee unsure but it had to be given. Excellent composure & finish for the 2nd a minute later
Another team at the top we have played well against, will need to do it again but should be fired up when they come back. In form Bath next week will be anothr test. Dulwich & Billericay both out of form despite Cup runs to finish the month may be crucial
The lessons learnt from the FA Cup run still live on... Westleigh Park has better paper towel dispensers than Anfield!!

KOS visited grounds - http://www.footballgroundmap.com/king-of-spades
King of Spades

Postby 88aml » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:10 am

Frustrating is the best word. Do the referees do not take into consideration more potential rain when inspecting the pitch as others have said the game should probably not of been played. Certainly half time it could of been called but that rain had been going a while and has started to ease it took us scoring a goal before they couldn’t play anymore? The celebrations were pathetic and no I honestly believe we would not of celebrated like that I think most Hawks fans would leave quietly with our tails between our legs. As for Slough moaning about getting some Verbal boo hoo the Slough Bald headed manager was vile all afternoon and a stronger ref would of sorted him and as said the celebrating was disrespectful so of course people were upset. I listened to their managers found blaming the conditions for some of their mistakes funny. Will say I thought the boys adapted to the poor conditions much better then opposition and bar a couple of mishaps weren’t overly bothered by them. I realise I sound quite angry but I am and I feel sorry for our players who worked hard and had it snatched away but a cowardly referee.
88aml

Postby Slough boy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:26 am

A game that ended in emotions.

Slough got the get out of jail card they needed and played it.

HWFC got stuffed by a weak ref.

Slough did not adapt to the conditions, HWFC did.

However, onto the pitch!

It was clear to see that there was a problem with the pitch before kick off as it was cutting up, as it looked like the well-manicured grass had just been laid onto the substrate and provided no firm base for players to grip into.

Another problem was that with the pitch being on a slope there were areas wetter than others which lead to an inconstancy of how the ball behaved.

I noted there was no sign of the ref checking the pitch at half time!

Maybe HWFC should consider investing in a 3G/4G pitch considering how much they charge to get in - £16 is amongst the highest at this level – not as much as the bandits at St Albans, but £3 more than at STFC for a far better quality of pitch which completed a game at the same time.

Not sure if I will have enough time to raise another mortgage in time to go to the replay, but as no tickets were issued at the gates I guess HWFC will be pocketing the gate money and no reduction will be offered for the replay?

Don’t complain – it was of your and the refs own making!
Slough boy

Postby martin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:40 am

I can just about accept the decision to call it off, although waiting until the rain stopped seems somewhat illogical. I don't even have a major problem with the manner in which they started making such a big issue about the pitch/conditions straight after going 2 down...that's what pretty much any team would do in similar circumstances I suspect.
But what really was stomach churning was the embarrassing high fives and hugs amongst their players as the decision was made. I realise that football is not a game where you should expect to see anything even close to integrity or humility...but celebrating an abandonment in that fashion is up there with one of the most spineless things I have seen in 40 years of watching. Would love to hear someone like Roy Keane analyse it...
martin

Postby Pompeyred » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Slough boy wrote:A game that ended in emotions.

However, onto the pitch!

It was clear to see that there was a problem with the pitch before kick off as it was cutting up, as it looked like the well-manicured grass had just been laid onto the substrate and provided no firm base for players to grip into.

Another problem was that with the pitch being on a slope there were areas wetter than others which lead to an inconstancy of how the ball behaved.

Maybe HWFC should consider investing in a 3G/4G pitch considering how much they charge to get in - £16 is amongst the highest at this level – not as much as the bandits at St Albans, but £3 more than at STFC for a far better quality of pitch which completed a game at the same time.

Not sure if I will have enough time to raise another mortgage in time to go to the replay, but as no tickets were issued at the gates I guess HWFC will be pocketing the gate money and no reduction will be offered for the replay?

You are totally correct it was our own doing, by scoring the second goal of course! Until then the ref, your manager and his players had been quite happy to play on!

As an aside I don’t think entrance fees are based on the quality of playing surfaces, I think we should offer you free entry for the rearranged game and recommence it at 66 minutes with the score 2 nil? Or you can pay £16, it’s your call? Maybe your club might put a free bus on seeing as you appeared to have won the league walking off yesterday.

Hawks fans it was FANTASTIC to see Shaun Gale at the game yesterday
Pompeyred

Postby mark c » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:54 pm

With regard to what the Slough fan has said, where does he think we could get the 500,000 or so to put down a credible 3g pitch?
£16 to get in, only for visiting fans and floaters £99 for a season ticket is why we sold over 800 of them
Having visiting your sterile council paid for stadium on 4 occasions last season, give me a proper WLP type ground any day of the week
Fwiw, I was thoroughly enjoying the game until the Slough bench decided they'd had enough, personally I was more concerned at 2-0 than at 1-0
In all honesty I thought the ref should have given the ground staff 10 minutes or so to try and clear the surface water, all we now have is another game which in the cold light of day neither team really want
There's no such things as Rock stars, there's just people who play music , some of them are just like us and some of them are dicks
mark c

Postby ade » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:29 pm

mark c wrote:all we now have is another game which in the cold light of day neither team really want

judging by their celebrations i think our visitors are MORE than happy for another game at ours :!: :thumbup:

must be the loaded cheese hawks pizza :geek:
celebrated author of 'prolific garbage on the beasts forum, 2008- july 2013'
ade

Postby PO6_Hawk » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:33 am

Slough boy wrote:A game that ended in emotions.

However, onto the pitch!

Typical Slough mentality, surprised they haven't started banging on about how well supported they are yet...oh no that was years ago, cant even average over 750 when back in their own town in the Conference south!
Didn't have a ground for 10+ years, then move into a council funded one and think its a palace.
Players celebrating an abandonment like it was a cup win really goes to show how tinpot they are. What an achievement.
The managers and fat slob of a GK coach are just foul mouthed heathens.

The pitch was wet, and it did rain. But at the time of abandonment it was no worse than at HT or when Slough were 1-0 down.
Havant players simply adapted to the conditions better and bar one great Worner save totally dominated the game.
PO6_Hawk

Return to Hawk Lounge