Squad

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Squad

Postby montyles » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:55 am

Could do with the OS updating the squad details, players and squad number. Also let us know what the latest injury news is.
montyles

Re: Squad

Postby CyprusHawk » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:10 pm

Hawks 1-2 Hemel Hempsted
Kedwell scored the rebound of a penalty miss in 81st minute (at that point we were 2nd in league just 6 points behind Wealdstone) only for Sam Ashford to equalise in the 83rd minute and then get a dramatic winner in 92nd minute! We had a goal disallowed for what Henry said should have been a goal. We are now 5th in league.

Wealdstone P13 33pts
Hemel Hempstead P13 28 pts
Slough Town P13 24 pts
Dorking P13 24 pts
Havant P13 23 pts

Disappointing that we beat Dorking 6-0 and we're below them? Bizarre. We're going to have to do better at home. I think we've suddenly got too many players and not sure who are the best players - Chris Paul wasn't anywhere near the team, and now he's in? Craig Robson came in to sure up the defence i guess and he's got great experience and yet we lose with him installed with Sam Magri! I mean the defence of Straker, Magri, Robson & Reed should be best in league i'd have thought.

Hope we are going to get things moving positively at home in time for me coming to WLP to see us beat Bath City.
CyprusHawk

Postby mark c » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Sorry Ian, there was not too much wrong with today's performance, maybe we could have been a bit more clinical in front of goal, but that's being a bit harsh
As for Craig Robson, I thought he was excellent and fitted in as though he had always been there

Now if any performance from today deserved some criticism may I point the finger at the man in the middle
Didn't cost us the game but was just poor all game

But, as with every game I've seen this season I thoroughly enjoyed it
B
There's no such things as Rock stars, there's just people who play music , some of them are just like us and some of them are dicks
mark c

Postby mark c » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Sorry Ian, there was not too much wrong with today's performance, maybe we could have been a bit more clinical in front of goal, but that's being a bit harsh
As for Craig Robson, I thought he was excellent and fitted in as though he had always been there

Now if any performance from today deserved some criticism may I point the finger at the man in the middle
Didn't cost us the game but was just poor all game

But, as with every game I've seen this season I thoroughly enjoyed it
B
There's no such things as Rock stars, there's just people who play music , some of them are just like us and some of them are dicks
mark c

Postby martin » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:48 pm

Yes, as with pretty much every home game this season it was an enjoyable performance...and, as with several of them, we haven't ended up getting the result that the performance probably warranted.
Granted, I didn't think the first 45 minutes was up to our previous standards, although that was perhaps more to do with the fact that todays opposition were strong in the opening half.
Whilst that first half was a pretty tough, physical affair which Hemel just about edged, the second half saw us start to completely dominate. As with virtually all the home games so far, we began to overwhelm our opponents in terms of pressure and territory and by the time the goal came had done more than enough to earn it.
Very disappointing not to then see the game out though. The equaliser was frustrating enough but to lose the game in the manner we did was a real hammer blow.

I do feel we look capable of stringing 4 or 5 home wins together at some point soon, combine that with the excellent away form then things could start to look very promising,
martin

Postby King of Spades » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:25 am

What the hell do you do with this as a manager? Thats 5 home games now where we have been the better team, at times by a distance, yet someway somehow we don't win the game. We have no problem creating chances and aside from the occasional mistake at the back (which you will never completely eradicate at this level) the defence has been strong, doing everything the manager could plan for but the clinical finish
Welling, Chelmsford, Eastbourne, Braintree and now Hemel. Based on performance its hard to argue against the fact we should've won all 5 yet we took 3/15 points

Thats also 4 penalties at Westleigh Park this season and all 4 have been missed. Luckily the miss was only temporary this time, but theres some kind of weird curse going on in front of goal for sure!
The lessons learnt from the FA Cup run still live on... Westleigh Park has better paper towel dispensers than Anfield!!

KOS visited grounds - http://www.footballgroundmap.com/king-of-spades
King of Spades

Postby Adam » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:42 am

I thought we were pretty poor myself. I'm pretty certain that if I wandered over to the Hemel forum they would have the same complaints about the official - absolutely awful ref yesterday. Was definitely an end-to-end game, with each side seeming to have a 5 minute period of pressure before being put on the back-foot by the opposition. No idea why Magri's header was chalked off, can only assume there was something in the build-up. Hoped we'd snatched a point with the pen, but to concede twice from that position is woeful.

Not purely off the back of yesterday's game, but I do have concerns over our defence so far this season. Benny has bags of pace and loves to get forward, but is very much a modern full-back in that he's far less convincing in defence. Worner seems to have a flap in him every game too. I assume he was punching everything yesterday because of the conditions, but none of them seemed to get outside the 18 yard line. Straker is a class-above though - does the work of 2 players down that left-hand side.

Me learned chum Lammy's stat yesterday about our last home win on a Saturday (look it up) was deeeeeeppppppressing.
Reserves the right to randomly switch between "glass half full" and "glass half empty" on a whim.
Adam

Postby underthenewstand » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:06 am

Referee was demoted off National League list at end of last season according to Cliff Pledge on Radio Solent after the game yesterday.

My only thoughts on what could be looked at is maybe go 352 at home but as i know PD reads the forum thats not me being critical as bar chances not being put away ive enjoyed the football that we are serving up.

#UTH
Owner of 2 Rory Williams shirts that are not suitable for my 35yr old Body Frame.
underthenewstand

Postby trevorfj » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:00 am

A disappointing and frustrating result....at home again. I have to remind myself that this is a new squad built from scratch and deserves time to gel. I think PD says it all in his post match interview. His perception and honesty continue to give me hope for the future and dreams of a good cup run.

I can find nothing to say about the ref which would not land me in court. I look forward to the day when I am able to watch 90 minutes honest football and do not have to spend so much time watching players sitting, laying or rolling on the ground.

It seems we lack the threat of someone who is able to put away a free kick from just outside the area. How sweet are the memories of free-kicks taken by Scot Donnelly or Nic Ciardini?!

How we miss Wes Fogden! In the first post Les makes a good point about lack of current information regarding fitness and availability of squad members.

I have faith in the Hawks. But I hope for less exposure to at-home disappointments.
trevorfj

Postby PO6_Hawk » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:25 am

Incredibly disappointing result.
Opening 10/15 minutes of the game was all Havant and just couldn't find a goal. The rest of the half was pretty even and a good game to watch.
Second Half started the same before Hemel started to take a bit of a foothold. I thought the attacking substitutions changed the game in that Havant started threatening on the attack and ultimately it payed off. However that attacking formation was then the downfall in the final minutes.

I don't like singling out players but Chris Paul just isn't physical enough. He has good pace and a lot of skill but is bullied off the ball too easily. For me the midfield formation with Drury pushed out wider just didn't work. Bailey & Drury are so critical to this team and Bailey was left isolated far too many times on Saturday.

A lot of wasted chances, another missed penalty. Seem to be constantly shooting ourselves in the foot!
PO6_Hawk

Next

Return to Hawk Lounge