Braintree

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Braintree

Postby martin » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Well, they say all good things come to an end, and today it was the turn of our excellent unbeaten start to the season.
By the time the 3rd Braintree goal went in it felt like we had probably got what we deserved today but the truth is there was so much more to the game then that.

We started with the quick, bright passing football that we are growing accustomed to seeing this season, and only a world class save from their keeper prevented us taking very early lead. We went behind soon after that but to our credit carried on with same level of performance creating chances and it wasn't too long before Tarbucks cracking equaliser. At this point I fully expected us to go and win comfortably. Braintree scored their second towards the end of the first half and perhaps the first real sign of it not being our day today was the glaring miss from Roarie Deacon just before half time.

The second half was a more frustrating affair, particularly after we missed yet another penalty. As the game went on we seemed to go for more direct approach with neither full back having as much attacking impact as previous games. The last 20 minutes saw no let up in effort but the feeling that we had goals galore in us seemed to desert us and a mixture of the usual time wasting and solid defending ensured we couldn't find the equaliser.

So its a mini break from the league. Personally I reckon we are due a bit of a cup run...lets start it next Saturday!
martin

Re: Braintree

Postby 88aml » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:12 pm

A very frustrating afternoon. Once again did more then enough to win the lack of a cutting edge and missing penalties is starting to be a real issue. In the first half Braintree were gifted two chances and took them. The Hawks had enough chances to win 3 games today. At least chances are being created it would be more worrying if the chances weren’t coming. Man of the match was the Braintree keeper, gotta be fair and say I wasn’t that impressed with them overall but they did take their chances and that’s what it’s about.
88aml

Postby King of Spades » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Thought we were comfortably the better side but again just didn't take the chances that we kept on creating and that bit of luck you sometimes need deserted us at times. First half should have been 3 or 4 ahead, hit the bar twice, off the line twice and a few good saves but you cat create that many chances and not take them. Second half different but still on top and shouldve got back as Braintree attempted every trick in the book to time waste, which I thought the ref actually dealt with well for once and wasn't having their playacting crap

Penalties are a major problem now. 3 at home this season all missed and each one worse than the last, todays being one of the worst penalties ive seen in a long time. Thats Walton, Deacon & Straker this year and throw in Rutherfords misses from last season theres a clear problem with who we get to take them. Might be missing one but think thats 5 of our last 8 have been missed and its already cost us at least 5 points this season!
The lessons learnt from the FA Cup run still live on... Westleigh Park has better paper towel dispensers than Anfield!!

KOS visited grounds - http://www.footballgroundmap.com/king-of-spades
King of Spades

Postby Pompeyred » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:15 am

in the words of someone famous.... we flippin murdered em!

we had more than enough chances to win the game and for 60 minutes i thought we would do, even with all the missed chances, the penalty seemed to take the wind out of us though and of course the injuries didn't help.

the league game is massive away at wealdstone, this team is certainty good enough to go on another unbeaten, lets start there!

It will be interesting to see what team plays on Wednesday, i hope we save anyone who is half fit for Saturdays FA Cup game
Pompeyred

Postby jubileepark » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:45 pm

King of Spades wrote:Penalties are a major problem now. 3 at home this season all missed and each one worse than the last, todays being one of the worst penalties ive seen in a long time. Thats Walton, Deacon & Straker this year and throw in Rutherfords misses from last season theres a clear problem with who we get to take them. Might be missing one but think thats 5 of our last 8 have been missed and its already cost us at least 5 points this season!

I was amazed that Kedwell didn't take it - having seen him smash them in for Ebbsfleet, maybe because Straker scored one the previous week at Maidstone?

No excuse for a bad penalty... but their keeper was well off the line when it the ball was kicked and the lines man was looking straight at it?! :wtf:
jubileepark

Postby PO6_Hawk » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:34 pm

A frustrating performance but not terrible.
On chances created the Hawks should have won, the difference being Braintree took theirs and the Hawks didn't!

A silly mistake for the first goal, but thought Cook played ok thereafter.
I know injuries have been a huge factor but I thought Deacon and Rutherford were particularly poor/ineffective on Saturday.

But the big problem is the penalty situation. I really hope these misses don't come back to bite us at the end of season!
Hopefully once Kedwell is back to full fitness he can take on these duties, I really don't trust anyone else...

Does anyone have any update on injuries? In particular Drury & Walton who I feel have been the biggest losses?
PO6_Hawk

Return to Hawk Lounge