chelmsford game

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

chelmsford game

Postby martin » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:12 pm

A frustrating afternoon, particularly after the fireworks of Wednesday evening, but in the end I think we can call it another decent point in a solid enough start to the league campaign.
Had the penalty or the 1 on 1 chances where Alfie hit the post or Wes went close gone in then maybe we would be celebrating consecutive wins but I guess it just wasnt our day in front of goal.
Wednesday night was full of 8 and 9 out of 10 performances from virtually all the attacking players whereas today was probably 6's across the board really. No one played poorly as such but the free flowing passing football and the tricks and dribbling never quite hit the heights of the other night, and some credit has to go to the opposition today for that. In the end they will probably feel that they did enough to get a well earned point from the game.
Magri got man of the match and he was certainly on my short list along with Straker...but I would have just said that Simon Walton edged it for a massive commanding game at the back, all the more impressive given that he had missed the penalty early on.
martin

Re: chelmsford game

Postby baz » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:16 am

Despite the 0-0 scoreline I thought it was an enjoyable game. Full credit to Chelmsford they came with a gameplan and stuck to it for 90 minutes and we found it frustrating that we were getting closed down quickly losing possession and forced into too many stray passes. It was one of those games when a piece of individual skill was going decide the outcome and I thought it had arrived when Jonah ghosted past 3 or 4 players in the second half only to scuff his shot past the post at the end. Oh Well! Having said that, there were other chances that we should have been more clinical with and Chelmsford too had some near misses that were a bit close for comfort.

Was surprised to see Simon Walton step up to take the pen, and athough he struck it well it was a nice height for the keeper to keep out if he chooses to dive the right way.

Great that we are still unbeaten and we kept another clean sheet, Magri and Walton looks a solid partnership and Nicky Bailey has added experience into the back 4. One minor criticism, Roarie does seem to overdo the twists and turns at times when a quick cross into the box might be more productive, but there's no doubt he's a talented player and for sure we'll benefit from his skills throughout the season.

COYH
baz

Re: chelmsford game

Postby PO6_Hawk » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:23 pm

Echo the thoughts of the above, a good game against a strong team and ultimately a decent point.
No Hawks players had a bad game, but the defense certainly outshone the attack on this occasion.

I felt the forwards were a little sloppy in possession and hold up play on Saturday. Ayunga battled away but seemingly couldn't get the ball to stick whilst Alfie and Roarie were in and out of the game. The latter is undoubtedly an excellent player but I feel is a bit of a luxury at times.
Walton has been a great addition at centre half (No comment on the Penalty...!) and whilst he has performed well playing full back, Nicky Bailey is a huge loss when not in the middle of the park. He genuinely can run and read games with great vision and passing and I hope he is restored there ASAP. He and Drury were excellent when paired together during the opening games.

I thought there were a few tired legs during the second half and rightly so after a hectic opening schedule. Lets hope this week allows some recovery before the bank holiday weekend and 6 points.
PO6_Hawk

Return to Hawk Lounge