welling?

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

welling?

Postby ade » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:29 pm

verily we have a superb team :!:

of course we wanted a win :roll: but a solid point against a solid team who will be challenging for promotion this season....

some quite simply great passing footie action.... :geek:
celebrated author of 'prolific garbage on the beasts forum, 2008- july 2013'
ade

Re: welling?

Postby King of Spades » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:05 pm

Good performance against last years PO finalists and a team that will be no doubt around them again. Much of the 2nd half was 1 way traffic but somehow just didn't manage to find the killing blow

Thought we may have already seen to assist of the season with a perfect pass from Ayunga, then we spent the entire 2nd half doing it over and over! Quick passing & movment, pressure everytime Welling did get the ball and looked dangerous constantly

Defence still needs some work, don't think Beckwith & Magri are a partnership yet but that will come with time

Plenty to be positive about, this side looks like potential champions thats for sure!
The lessons learnt from the FA Cup run still live on... Westleigh Park has better paper towel dispensers than Anfield!!

KOS visited grounds - http://www.footballgroundmap.com/king-of-spades
King of Spades

Postby Allen » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:49 pm

After an almost flawless preseason today was maybes a little disappointing. Personally I thought it was a very impressive performance... very impressive. Even if we didn’t get the result we wanted, in the long run I believe we’re gonna be alright... well alright. Not a crap short corner in sight, a desire to play football, no slagging off of officials. Sadly the same old crap sound system still exists but hey I guess not even Dos is perfect. Once the second tranche of Bradbury‘s boys came on a draw was probably the best we were going to get - any team is as good as its weakest link. TBH by the final whistle I was happy with the point. Have seen too many games at WLP where against all odds we’ve snatched the defeat from the jaws of a draw.

Well happy.
Portsmouth Senior Cup Winners 2015 & 2017; Runners-Up 2016
Allen

Postby ade » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:20 am

Allen wrote: TBH by the final whistle I was happy with the point. Have seen too many games at WLP where against all odds we’ve snatched the defeat from the jaws of a draw.

absolutely lovin' ya bastard work :twisted: those last 5 minutes gave me the turtles....
celebrated author of 'prolific garbage on the beasts forum, 2008- july 2013'
ade

Postby Ed Harris' Pint » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:37 am

A point on the board to get us rolling against a team who reached the PO finals last season :thumbup:.

Lets not forget this is almost a brand new team which will need time to gel. Dos even said in one of his fan forums not to expect us to come out of the traps flying.

Great football going forward. Looked abit suspect at the back at times but the defence will strengthen as the games go on.

Onto Hampton where hopefully we can pick up our first 3 points :thumbup:
Ed Harris' Pint

Postby baz » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:18 pm

Plenty of positives to take out of the game and obviously room for improvements in one or two areas. We look comfortable on the ball and pretty sure in most of the matches we will dominate possession. Drury looks class in the middle of the park and Nicky and Wes work hard to win the ball, Defence looked a little unsure at times but I'm sure that will improve in the coming games. Thought Welling defended resolutely and apart from the goal, prevented us getting in behind them regularly and not allowing us many chances.

The last 5 minutes could have gone against us and it was probably Wellings best period of the game. Was concerned to see only Benny Read defending against 2 of their strikers in a counter-attack at one point which could have been costly but I'm sure Dos and Bairdy would have noticed that as well and will be addressing that issue next game.

COYH
baz

Postby PO6_Hawk » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:57 am

A good point and a good performance from my perspective.

Bailey & Drury looked real quality in the middle with Wes working hard as always.
Roarie & Josh were in an out of the game a bit but showed flashes of pace and skill and Jonah looked strong and solid up front (although should have scored when he blazed over!)

The defense will gel, i'm sure. The full backs looked promising going forward too.
As many have said, the H&W of last season would have caved in and conceded during those final 5 minutes.

Fairly confident heading into Tuesday of getting the first 3 points of the season...

Finally, a decent crowd and also a much improved programme in terms of content and quality. :clap:
PO6_Hawk

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:56 pm

PO6_Hawk wrote: also a much improved programme in terms of content and quality. :clap:

Agreed the programme has improved but, sadly, continues to be let down by the poor quality of the match reports. These continue to be littered with spelling and syntax errors. Specifically, the use of various tenses including the conditional in a match report is clearly wrong whilst the difference between whose and who's needs to be explained to the author
Michael

Return to Hawk Lounge