3G pitch

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

3G pitch

Postby Ed Harris' Pint » Wed May 15, 2019 6:30 pm

As mentioned on a couple of threads on here and by Dos last night.

What are peoples opinions on WLP having a 3G pitch? While it won't happen any time soon, depending on how this season goes I think it could be a possibility in the next coming ones so thought it would be worth making a thread to discuss.

For those not at the meeting, it was said it would cost 400k (I think?) to install the pitch which would then be recouped back via community use Mon-Friday rather than the pitch only being used every two weeks. If the club goes up to the Football League than the pitch would have to be ripped up again, however.

I know the majority of people would prefer grass but, for the potential income and "community hub" aspect, would it be something worth installing?
Ed Harris' Pint

Re: 3G pitch

Postby Hillbees1 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:43 pm

I can't see the benefit unless the club are worried about postponements due to bad weather. Granted there could be a bad year weather wise, but is it really worth the expense? However if someone wants to fund the club to that extent, then all I can say is thank you very much for your commitment to the club.
Hillbees1

Postby Pompeyred » Wed May 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Yes get it done ASAP!

Hire charges up to £100 an hour, pitch gets paid for in 4 years plus the extra footfall at the club. Build it and they will come!
Pompeyred

Postby Ed Harris' Pint » Wed May 15, 2019 10:42 pm

Hillbees1 wrote:I can't see the benefit unless the club are worried about postponements due to bad weather. Granted there could be a bad year weather wise, but is it really worth the expense? However if someone wants to fund the club to that extent, then all I can say is thank you very much for your commitment to the club.

From what I remember the benefits were. Pitch can be hired by the community Mon-Fri to recoup the investment. First team can train on the pitch. No postponements due to weather.

Potential disadvantages. Could end up with an Oxford City 3G rather then a Sutton 3G. Big investment would be needed. I think there's a belief that the football quality is generally worse on 3G pitches?

It's a interesting one..
Ed Harris' Pint

3G pitch

Postby ade » Thu May 16, 2019 7:24 am

make no apologies for getting carried away :P

we're a galaxy away from league 2 :shifty:

but massive IF we eventually get back to nat league we would be faced with not being able to challenge for further promotion....

yes it's years if ever away but I value your thoughts....
celebrated author of 'prolific garbage on the beasts forum, 2008- july 2013'
ade

Postby PO6_Hawk » Thu May 16, 2019 8:48 am

Would these rules of 'no 3G pitches' apply to Pompey academy, women etc...? If so those are revenue streams gone.

Traditionally football is played on grass and we are lucky to have such hard working and loyal groundsmen who maintain an excellent surface. As such I would like the grass to stay.

That said if the club can benefit to the extent Sutton, Slough etc... seemingly have and its a revenue generator for years to come then financially it would be the right move.

With Dos signing a 3 year deal I cant see this happening unless he is in for the long haul. Lets enjoy the new season and see where we are next summer...
PO6_Hawk

Postby ShatnersBassoon » Thu May 16, 2019 10:33 am

You will get a 3G pitch and it will be the highest rated pitch available. Forget about the grass argument, there's virtually no difference in play and within 10 minutes you don't notice it. It will allow Havant to become a full time business and there's no issue with ladies or academy football. It's only the EFL that don't allow it because the member clubs last time out just voted against changing the rules - only because some member clubs felt they didn't want to invest in it so were protecting their own interests.

With the money flying around the National League at the moment (both in the South and the National), getting promoted into league 2 is pretty unlikely unless you have lots of money (Salford, Fylde etc) or a big ex-league club with a large fan base. Macclesfield going up was more a Leicester than a Man City, so don't let that cloud your choice. Until there is FFP at this level teams like yours, Suttons, Sloughs etc won't make it into the league.

To me it's a no brainer.
ShatnersBassoon

Postby ade » Thu May 16, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi shats, it's just that paul told this story of your play off game against the horrible wood and the ramifications had you won :o
celebrated author of 'prolific garbage on the beasts forum, 2008- july 2013'
ade

Postby Turfhawk » Thu May 16, 2019 12:32 pm

I like grass but having a 3g pitch at our level is the way to go. Apart from the obvious no more games being cancelled due to weather you've also got the income from people renting it. Also what no one has mentioned so far is that a lot of businesses won't bother advertising at a place where they will only be seen once a fortnight. This I should imagine would change significantly if there was a chance their advertising would be seen 7 days a week & by a lot wider audience.
They're there for the taking!
Turfhawk

Postby lammy » Thu May 16, 2019 12:58 pm

I must admit that I had always been completely against the notion of a 3G pitch but the way Doswell spoke about it on Tuesday it was difficult to avoid the fact that it could have huge financial advantages.
I guess we all have to square off those issues in our heads and reach a conclusion. There may be some that would give up watching if it was artificial but i don't place myself in that category.
I am an advocate of the 'you have to be able to win in all conditions' brigade and have some marvelous memories of epic wins on mud heaps! However the call of embedding the club in the community with all the associated benefits probably swings it in my mind.
lammy

Next

Return to Hawk Lounge