And now Rory...

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

And now Rory...

Postby Andy S » Fri May 03, 2019 7:38 pm

This is turning into the night of the long knives.
Absolutely tragic news especially after signing a new deal. Presumably he wasn’t able to commit to the new virtually full-time three-day-a-week set-up because of work commitments. The other four - Carts, Ryan, Ed and Theo - probably weren’t part of the manager’s plans but it would be nice to be told.
After the huge announcement about the manager and his class video the club are quickly in danger of losing a lot of goodwill in a very short space of time.
Club is being run as some kind of secret society. So many unanswered questions.
Money was obviously tight halfway through the season hence getting Pavey and Nicke off the wage bill. Then the shambles of announcing that new signings would be arriving ahead of the trips to Fylde and Halifax. Then news came out that the club was up for sale (advertising mistake, just wanted investors) and then after Halifax Derek said there was no more money for Lee.
But now it seems money is no object. New manager, entirely new ‘full-time’ squad pending and a commercial manager.
So, have we got new investment? I assume we must have. Again it would be nice, as supporters, to be told.
Still very much amateur hour on the in-house media front with fans learning of departures from the players themselves rather than from the club.
Andy S

Re: And now Rory...

Postby CyprusHawk » Fri May 03, 2019 11:49 pm

I think you're being a bit harsh Andy.....I think the club had a budget, a part time budget at that, right at the beginning of the season, but it quickly became apparent that we needed additional investment, so they i understand invested and increased the stretched budget to try to help Lee, and stay in the Division. We were one of 2 part time teams i believe and both were relegated. Paul's Introduction and video was very comprehensive and he stated it was a long term plan, in that the move to morning training was something the manager has tried previously, and it has worked, and you can see how he has improved Sutton United over the past 11 years. They've consolidated their position as a National League team for the last 3 years and were in Play Offs last season. He knows what he's doing and Bairdy as his number 2 for nearly 5 years on top of that we've got Galey who knows the club inside out having been with us for nearly 20 years. So its just change, something we're not really used too, something we've not had in a long time. We have also had some success over the past 3 years ourselves, but the NL was a bit too much and really shouldn't have been, but we can bounce back stronger, but to do that, we need to ring changes, and Paul had earmarked around 7 of the squad he wanted to keep, but alas our best player Rory Williams is not able to commit to the new regime, so we'll have to get a left back thats as good as Rory Williams or better that can. In fact the leakiest defence in the NL has pretty much gone. Some had been at the club a long time and so probably the right time for them to go in my opinion. I'd definitely keep hold of Fogden, Rutherford, Robinson (Andreas), Tarbuck and Williams would have been another of those for me to stay.

The rest i'd look to be offloading, although i do like Rose and think Dudzinksi could be a useful squad member but according to the News this evening it looks like Rose and Dudzinski could also be leaving the club. May i take the opportunity to wish those that so far have left all the very best and they've been fantastic servants to the club. Its exciting times and will be very interesting to see the transfer targets, rumours and who we actually draft in. In respect to secrecy Andy, i don't think we've had to wait very long at all to find out whats occurring. Paul said he wanted to speak to the players this week and they'd be told first out of courtesy, then we'd be informed and that i think is exactly whats been happening hasn't it?

So who else would you try to keep? Who'd you like to see signed? What about Sutton United? Any of their released players on their way to WLP? Jamie Collins? a new goalkeeper? right back, left back, centre backs, wingers, more strikers?

The idea of a Commercial Manager i guess is to start generating more cash, in the hope of turning professional eventually, but we need to start getting more money in in preparation for a promotion push and being better prepared for NL next time. We've had some experience of the league, we know what to expect and i guess the club are just putting some foundations in place to help us next time we're up there, so we can stay up and not get relegated.
CyprusHawk

Postby Adam » Sat May 04, 2019 8:36 am

*sigh* Well, this brave new era is brutal isn't it. Not sure where Rory placed in the "Retail Assistants Player of the Season" vote, but I'd be very surprised if he wasn't in the top 2 or 3.

Has long been a source of conversation and debate whether, as a club, you're better off with the "best" part-time players or the "worst" full-time and we are 100% balls-deep down the full-time route now. There are going to be some VERY good players for the local part-time clubs to snaffle though.

Left-back always feels like a position we've been blessed - Fezza, Chewie, Brett, Chris Arthur and then Rory. Some big boots to fill for sure.
Reserves the right to randomly switch between "glass half full" and "glass half empty" on a whim.
Adam

Postby Andy S » Sat May 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Not harsh at all Mr Cyprus.
After the Halifax away trip we were told there was no more money for Lee and the club needed investors. We basically limped through the last few games with a patched-up up side propped up by more loan signings.
The last few months were terrible and there was a real air of despondency around the place. I think Paul Doswell is a great appointment and going full-time is tremendous. But I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be interested where the funds have suddenly come from.
And I’m not the only one who thinks it’s ridiculous that we put out match ‘previews’ that never mention any players, injuries etc, and announce signings an hour before kick-off so other teams won’t find out. I know Lee was a bit paranoid but there’s been times when we’ve not even been told that players have left the club or been recalled from loans etc.
Adam, I doubt Rory was even on their radar considering they overlooked the actual player of the season - Tyler Cordner.
Andy S

Postby underthenewstand » Sat May 04, 2019 11:21 pm

As much as you keep moaning Andy about the social media,website etc 95% of that problem was due to "The New Messiah" as Ade called him & after speaking with other media people who covered us this season they also have got fed with not be able to release stories about in's & out's of players.
With regards to funds etc maybe Derek saw that players being brought like Ibra,Banjo,Cosgrave,Quigley to name a few were not having any impact on the team so why would he keep giving him more funds to waste.

The club if wants to move forward needs these changes as much as its sad these players are leaving after what theyve done for us but from what i see in just one week since the FT whistle blew it is all positive as within one tweet to the club about sponsoring a player next season which normally takes 25 phone calls to sort out i got a direct reply from the new CM with a phone number to arrange once we make some signings.

Maybe the club should of done things like this last season but if people didnt want to go that way then there isnt much that could of been done as the set deserved the change at the NL, but now those people are moving on these things can happen.

Im looking forward to whats going to happen so far but i also know there will be bumps in the road.

#UTH
Owner of 2 Rory Williams shirts that are not suitable for my 35yr old Body Frame.
underthenewstand

Postby CyprusHawk » Sun May 05, 2019 11:13 am

Warren Cummings, Justin Gregory & Luke Byles were decent left backs as well Adam. So you are right, blessed, so i guess we will get another.
CyprusHawk

Return to Hawk Lounge