death rattle....

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

death rattle....

Postby ade » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:35 pm

yet another brave attempt today, on the pitch and behind the goal....

so proud of our awesome club and squad this season....

with relegation to the isthmian league almost 3 years ago i would never have even dreamed we'd be playing at this level :geek:

we have travelled a galaxy together and we will be back you non-league fuckpeices :shh: :evil: :twisted:
celebrated author of 'prolific garbage on the beasts forum, 2008- july 2013'
ade

Re: death rattle....

Postby martin » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:12 pm

Whilst i certainly agree with Ade's sentiments about the squad generally and the season as a whole, I can't help but think his assessment of today's performance is a little generous really. Admittedly, the first half was decent enough and indeed for the opening 20 mins or so it was the Hawks who looked like the play off chasing side playing, as we were, with confidence and energy creating chances and looking the team most likely to score. Their keeper had to make a world class save even before we did go ahead from the penalty.
As the 1st half went on, Harrogate began to get more of a foot hold in the game but getting to half time with our lead in tact looked relatively straightforward until we gifted them the equaliser.

The second half was a different mater though. Maybe its a case of credit to good quality opposition for taking control of the game, but there just didn't seem to be the degree of fight, desire and desperation you might expect given the nature of the situation we were in. Realistic prospects of survival may have been extinguished a couple of weeks back,,,but, the fact is a win today and the flame of hope would have continued to flicker for at least a little longer.
martin

Postby Ed Harris' Pint » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:20 am

Agree with Martin. First 20 minute we played really well, got the goal. Then Harrogate made a change and it was pretty much one way traffic from then on. Fair play to the Harrogate manager who recognized his midfield weren't getting a grip on the game and made the change early on. It never feels like there's a plan B with Bradbury, it's always wait until the 70th minute to make a change. There's no chance he would have done what the Harrogate manager did.

Another silly goal to concede too for the first goal. With the Dover result, we could have clawed it back to 6 points where anything could happen in the last 4 games however it was not to be. Fustrating. Pretty much summing up our season.
Ed Harris' Pint

Postby Pompeyred » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:14 pm

In the end It’s the hope that kills you!

I though we bossed the first half, if you’d wandered off the street you certainly couldn’t see how Harrogate were top once and play off chasers now. second half was totally different however, their number 4 the dwarf ran the show, our Achilles heel this season has usually been up against giants, it was the opposite yesterday

Still it was another late goal, is it fitness, is it mental, it’s probably a combination of the two but if you took off the goals we’ve conceded in the last 10 mins we’d be 8 to 10 points better off, small margins all the time
Pompeyred

Postby underthenewstand » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:04 pm

Pretty much summed up by posts so far on the game only thing i would add is about plan B etc is that if we need a goal at 1-1 why not go with all forwards on pitch instead of going like for like by taking off Pato.

Hope in the summer we bring some expierience in the middle of the park as yesterday with Carter & Lewis on the bench we lacked that at times.
Still not sure id have Wes starting as just not having any impact for me.

Shall be at Solihull, hoping we can extend our time in the National league for at least another 90mins.
Owner of 2 Rory Williams shirts that are not suitable for my 35yr old Body Frame.
underthenewstand

Postby PO6_Hawk » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:38 pm

A strong 1st half performance and lead wiped out by one stupid mistake. Not sure if Harris or GK were to blame, or if it was just 'one of those things'.
However 2nd half was a different story and one way traffic. In truth Harrogate could/should have scored 3 within the first 5 minutes of the half.

No one really had a bad game, but a few were quiet. But again the midfield gets bypassed by long punts up field. I'm not expecting quick passing and trickery but games recently have been controlled by opposition midfields, something Havant aren't capable of doing (certainly since Stock's retirement anyway).

If relegation is pretty much a certainty now then Havant can end the season knowing they gave it a good go and in reality weren't outplayed in too many games. Sadly 3 wins this calendar year just isn't good enough.
It's been a great experience and one I hope will return in the not too distant future with the club in a better position for it.

It will certainly be an interesting summer, and whichever direction the club goes I trust it will be for the right reasons.
For me it's better the devil you know and I personally hope Bradbury stays and is supported in a bit of a squad re-shuffle.
I'm not convinced many other managers would buy into the club as much as Lee has. Names such as Jamie Howell, Terry Brown etc... don't really excite me.
Would Paul Robinson give up his Pompey commitments for a try at Conference South management?
Realistically who else is there?

Here's to the final few games and the hope the Hawks can sign off with some strong performances and another win along the way.
PO6_Hawk

Return to Hawk Lounge