Cards on the table

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Cards on the table

Postby baz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:32 pm

As we enter the second half of the season the games will be much tougher than the first half. Clubs will strengthen their squads in an attempt to make the play-offs and Aldershot, Chesterfield and Maidstone will undoubtedly spend to avoid the drop. That leaves us in a very precarious situation! Hope Lee has some irons in the fire to bring in some experience because at the moment we will not be good enough and i'm sure Lee knows that.

When you look at a fellow struggling club like Bromley can bring in JJ Hooper and, no disrespect intended, but we sign Hassan from a club 3 levels below, then you do fear for our survival. Its not going to be solved by loaning young players from League Clubs who are not familiar with the physical contact required in this league. 2 points over the Xmas period is a very poor return and to be fair Eastleigh were no world beaters, looked a typical mid table side, but we didn't really stretch them, plenty of build up play for 20 minutes or so but with no real cutting edge.

We seriously need to think where we go, obviously bringing in 2 or 3 experienced players will cost us and no doubt 3 or 4 will have to leave to help finance, but if we haven't got the money, we haven't got it full stop. I'm sure all the players will continue to give their all and battle their way to a few more wins and my forebodings will be pie in the sky!

COYH
baz

Re: Cards on the table

Postby Pompeyred » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:13 pm

For me we must play to our strengths and avoid the oppositions... a simple plan I know but here’s how

play 442 or 451 if needed, hoofing long balls which we do a lot when there is no width is easy meat for big strong defenders of which every team seems to have at least one of. Passing the ball and using the pace of Wes and Alfie for me is our best bet, I was hoping we could have kept Will wood as I would have then played Rory wide left midfield. As it is Tyler Frost out wide and tarbuck wide right leaving Robinson and probably Chris Paul in the middle, Alfie up front with foggy just off him.
Pompeyred

Postby ade » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:33 pm

lovin' yer post, baz, and i have splendid news from the front....

we've managed to extend tyler's loan spell. this could be crucial in our battle to avoid the drop :geek:

several things need to be in place to achieve survival. the duracell wes remaining fit. nicke and alfie becoming a fearsome front duo. chris paul or mikey stepping into captain fantastic's shoes. the amazing ben keeping fit.

one thing you can guarantee with the new messiah and his disciples, we won't die wondering :P #coyh #lgbth #lgfalw #eighteenbastardcupfinals
celebrated author of 'prolific garbage on the beasts forum, 2008- july 2013'
ade

Postby PO6_Hawk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:07 pm

I think injuries and fitness is going to be key to survival.

The starting 11 pretty much picks itself now and although Carter, P Robinson & Harris are to return (hopefully sooner rather than later!) there is little quality in reserve.

Brian Stock's experience, vision and quality in midfield is going to be a big void, I don't think anyone in the squad has the capabilities to replace that unfortunately. However a hard tackling Mike Carter and skillful Theo can go some way to accommodate this with Wes doing his bit in front of them.

I think cover for a/the fullbacks and a midfield enforcer should be high on the list of signings. Every club in the country is looking for a goalscorer so this will be difficult to fill unless a gem can be found from an academy/reserve league club on loan.
PO6_Hawk

Postby Adam » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:25 pm

PO6_Hawk wrote:Brian Stock's experience, vision and quality in midfield is going to be a big void, I don't think anyone in the squad has the capabilities to replace that unfortunately. However a hard tackling Mike Carter and skillful Theo can go some way to accommodate this with Wes doing his bit in front of them.

How about "unsung hero" Andy Robinson? Hasn't ever really nailed down a 1st team place, even in the Ryman season, but I think he's done an excellent job every time I've seen him this year - certainly doesn't look out of place in the National League. Works hard, is efficient with the ball, seems to have good defensive instincts. Perhaps doesn't have Stocky's range of passing, but I think is a great option at providing a back 4 with that midfield cover.

Isn't it weird that pretty much everyone thinks up front is the main area of concern (myself included) when our GF column is none too shabby at all!
Reserves the right to randomly switch between "glass half full" and "glass half empty" on a whim.
Adam

Postby PO6_Hawk » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:39 am

Adam wrote:How about "unsung hero" Andy Robinson?

Credit where it's due, he has played very well and in a position where you get little credit. I think defensively he's been great.

Regarding the concerns up front - I don't necessarily think it's a problem with what we've got, it's just a lack of back up option/s. An injury or suspension to Alfie is unthinkable at present.
PO6_Hawk

Return to Hawk Lounge