On one hand we can do well, but.... & au revoir to you all

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

On one hand we can do well, but.... & au revoir to you all

Postby CyprusHawk » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:18 am

Its weird, we've scored 33 goals so far this season - the 5th highest so far in the whole league!! Quite an achievement in our first season at this level, and something we've not always been renowned for over the last couple of years.

However, the downside, is that something we have been doing well at over the last couple of years is having a very tight defence, which has seen us win 2 promotions on the bounce, but in this league, we've already conceded 40 goals and that puts us in the 5th worst!!. So in top 5 for scoring, in bottom 5 for conceding. We just need to eradicate silly defence errors, and as long as we score one more than we concede from now on, we will triumph and remain in this league. From what i've seen so far, we're aren't a long way off and the loan signings this season have all been superb, which hasn't always been the norm over the last few years.

We should be very proud of how far we've come, but there is still a long way to go and i'm sure we can finish this league comfortably above the 4 relegation spots. There has to be 4 teams worse than us in this league. I'm positive we'll survive for another season in the VNL. I have my last couple of matches (home) over the last few weeks before i move to Cyprus. Its been an absolute pleasure following the Hawks over the last 17 years. We've had some memories. Here are some of mine if memory serves me correctly, apologies if they aren't all correct. I'm approaching 50 and my memory is fading. :)

Weymouth - Tony Taggart fiasco and getting docked 3 points!
Chukki Eribenne transfer to Weymouth!
Ollie Palmer being rubbish but then becoming one of the best strikers we've had at WLP and he is still plying his trade as a professional at Crawley Town.
Gareth Howells running into the corner area losing the ball for St Albans to score in the last minute to take the victory.
Beating Bishops Stortford 5-4
I remember losing at home 5-0 to Worcester City, not a great match!
Playing Real Betis wow, what a moment although i think we lost 7-0 - i still look at their results and can't believe we played them.
Some Portsmouth victories/draws in our annual friendlies.
Of course the FA Cup runs, most notably the Swansea CIty victory, and the Liverpool experience.
Ellis' time as a mascot.
I sat on the bench as Ellis won a competition when he was 3 years old, and wasn't allowed. So that was a good experience sitting with Galey and Lee in the dugout. Think it was against Dorchester and i think we lost 2-1 sadly.
More recently our promotions - celebrating the Ryman title (the last Ryman title i think) on the pitch with Ellis at Kingstonian.
Winning the VNLS at home.
Beating Maidenhead Utd 7-0 in our VNL match - our biggest league victory and in the top flight of Non League Football. WoW what a match!
Beating Maidstone as well the other week 5-2 in this division, which demonstrates we have got what it takes to stay up and will deserve to stay up.
The managers: Well where do i start: They all had their moments, but all have been pretty good apart from the Stuart Ritchie fiasco! It was a fiasco, and became apparant to me that the footballing brain behind this management team was actually the assistant manager Sean New. Once he left, Ritchie was clueless! and had to go in the end. Cue Lee Bradbury. I think we've done pretty well with Daishy/Jenkins, Bairdy, Galey and Bradders. Not too bad overall. Lets hope we can survive and go on to bigger and better things.

My last matches are Braintree Town (doing a corporate day with Glenn Thorpe) and then at home to Eastleigh, which promises to be a brilliant Boxing Day experience and i am sure we'll have a massive crowd for that one - expect it'll be over 2,000. Hopefully we will win as well.

So thanks everyone for the memories (and i'll be back for the last game of the season v Barnet as i am visiting the UK that week). I'll miss all those chaps i sit with and have sat with in the stand for the last 17 years, you know who you are (Glenn, Reg, Clive, Mike, John, John M, Jimmy, and sorry if i have forgotten anyone). The club as well given that i had some sponsorship involvement as well with my business for a couple of years or so: So thanks Trevor, Adie and gang. Thanks Lee and Galey over the years for all your help and support too.

In the shop where do i start. A massive thanks to everyone who works tirelessly in there to keep it going for us. I'd say the club should allow HawksSupport back - offering the discounts it used too, when the shop was thriving. WIthout the volunteers this shop wouldn't even exist and yet it looks a poor relation to most other club shops at this level and yet our ground is a match for a lot of them. Come on Havant & Waterlooville FC Ltd - support your volunteers and help promote the club shop better and its a matter of urgency i would argue that it needs to be done. We need some harmony in that respect because i don't really see it from an outsiders perspective. Well done Bob, Nita, Allan, Adie, etc etc etc (again if i have forgotten anyone i am sorry)

I move to Cyprus on 27-Dec-18 so thanks again and all the best. I will still watch from afar, still watch them on TV when they are on and get involved with the forum as i have over the years.

All the best. Its been a blast. Chas
CyprusHawk

Re: On one hand we can do well, but.... & au revoir to you a

Postby ade » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:55 pm

thoroughly enjoyable read :thumbup:

but leave the hawks when it's never been a better time to be a hawk :?: :idea: :crazy: :shock: :o

obviously you have your reasons so all the very best :wave: :thumbup:

i'd add to your 'volunteer' bit,: without our volunteers there'd be no club. :geek:
celebrated author of 'prolific garbage on the beasts forum, 2008- july 2013'
ade

Postby Hillbees1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:56 pm

i enjoyed the thrashing of Burton six nil with Nigel Clough playing for them! The South division was proving difficult for them to get out of, so they joined the North division and were promoted the following year. Also the vital one nil win over Grantham that kept us up one year at their expense.

Another highlight was beating MerthyrTydfil one year with a certain Mr Singh as the referee. I remember the Hawks fans chanting his name around WLP as he was such an excellent referee. He also refereed one of our matches on our cup run, but I can't remember whether it was York or Notts County.
Hillbees1

Postby lee » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:07 pm

Hillbees
It was the notts county game.

Cyprus hawk

Chas. Ian. All the best for the move for you and your family.
Thank you for your support during hawks FM first season.
I still remember being a winner in one of your high4u podcasts.

Good luck in cyprus hopefully you will be able to keep an eye on the hawks as well as the terriers.

Oh
No more Chas lists :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :lol: :lol:

Lee
Any view expressed on here are purely my own and not associated with anyone else or any other company.
COYH
lee

Postby CyprusHawk » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:30 am

Hi Lee. Yes remember you winning the High4U comp fella. I loved doing the Have I Got Hawks 4U podcast, with me and Rob. A couple of years ahead of its time i think......Hawks FM has since gone onto bigger and better things - which you started, but i like to think i was one of the innovators to that journey - haha :). I did try to ressurect HIGH4U but no one seemed particularly interested so it just faded fully into a distant memory. Thanks for the kind words and yes my family and I can't wait - 27 days left! You have to take the opportunities we're presented with and in Hawks 20th year and with us playing at the highest level we've ever played is annoying, but leaving them at such a high is great, but hopefully we will see them play higher still at some point. Survival is key this season, i'd take 5th bottom now, but i do think we have more in our locker than that. I think we've been unlucky at times, a bit naive at times perhaps but we've more than enough to stay up. In fact i would argue that we've played better football this season than i've witnessed in the last 3 or 4 and thats with 2 promotions as Champions! We've been great this year and fingers crossed we can do what Huddersfield did last season and survive. All the best Lee with your ventures. COYH! PS. I can always do some lists........I'll still be there in the background (and i'll be back for the Barnet game so have time to prepare a list for the end of the seasons potential signings for next season!!) :)
CyprusHawk

Return to Hawk Lounge