6 points 9 goals .....not a bad weeks work

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

6 points 9 goals .....not a bad weeks work

Postby portsdrifter » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:05 am

Maybe the week that will define the season and something to build upon. Rutherford's impact on the shape of the attack has been a major contributor and Brad Tarbuck playing a more forward role has increased his threat.

Good work by the management team in turning it around! :clap:
portsdrifter

Re: 6 points 9 goals .....not a bad weeks work

Postby ade » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:03 pm

yep, the whole squad and management have really dug in to give us more than a bright glimmer of hope :clap: :clap: :geek: :geek:
celebrated author of 'prolific garbage on the beasts forum, 2008- july 2013'
ade

Postby baz » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Not sure I would use the term 'turned it around' just yet, need a few more positive results to justify it, but no doubt we all feel a lot better about things than a week ago. Get good results in our next 2 games against Chesterfield and Maidstone then I might be in agreement.

It was another good win against a team that hasn't conceded many in recent weeks despite their poor record since August.
Thought the game was fairly even throughout although I reckon we did pose more of a threat than Halifax did and the 2-1 scoreline was just about right. I don't know what is said to Bradley at half-time, but he's come out for the second half in the last 3 or 4 games and has instantly caught the eye with his performances. His play on the right to tee up Alfie for the second goal was excellent.

Real disappointment for me was the sending off for Will Wood following another decent performance from him. Why players think they are being clever by denying the opposition the ball to try and wind the clock down is beyond me. It inevitably provokes plenty of pushing and shoving from both sides, and on this occasion the Halifax player went down easily as you would if you were trying to get somebody sent off and gives the Referee an easy excuse to wave a red card. Will is going to miss the next 3 games now because of being unbelievably stupid, and gives the Manager a problem that he thought he had solved.

COYH
baz

Postby Pompeyred » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:24 pm

Enjoyed yesterday, thought we looked quite comfortable for the majority of the game, 2nd half especially. 442 has helped us this week, having 2 central defenders has made them both step up a little bit and take more responsibility on it seems

Will wood has done well, the red card seemed a bit harsh but you can see why the ref gave it too, Rory Williams to left back for the next few games.

A word about Arron cosgrove, has he won a raffle because I’m not convinced he’s a footballer.. ok I say that in jest but he’s lacking confidence big time, the substitutions hindered rather than helped yesterday
Pompeyred

Postby Ed Harris' Pint » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Back to back wins :thumbup: . Good start to our run of important matches and hopefully we can carry this one.

Thought 2-1 was the correct scoreline. They only really looked dangerous from corners and it took a mistake by Ben for them to score.

Agree and disagree with the poster above. I think the substitutions made really put us under pressure when we were cruising. However, I thought Cosgrave looked bright when he came on. We started dropping very deep so he was really only chasing scraps and almost got an assist if Alex put away his open goal chance. It's easy to forget he is only 19 and played in the Isthmian North last season. With his pace, he is a useful outlet to have on the bench.

Looking forward to the away trip to Chesterfield, lets hope we can improve our away performances there.
Ed Harris' Pint

Postby underthenewstand » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:10 am

For 70 minutes except for set pieces they didnt look like scoring, then once we took off Alfie R and seemed to go 451 with Cosgrave out wide we seemed to invite pressure onto ourselves, should of gone up top with Kabamba.
Sometimes i do think our subs we make cause ourselves a lot of problems and this something that has been an issue for a lot of Bradders years in charge.

I do feel that Ben was a bit unsighted with the shot and listening back to Radio Solent comms they felt the ball was moving after it was hit and went through a few bodies before Ben saw it.

Agree with the point about Tarbuck looking better in a 442 so far as well.

Felt Andreas was man of the match though as he has such a calmness on the ball and never seems to panic and finally seems to holding down a place in the team as ive felt he has been under used since joining from Gospit.

Dont agree that Cosgrave doesnt look like a footballer as made above he would of had a great assist if Alex tucks that chance away and his pace at the end of the game could cause defenders problems and think he may get a start at Chesterfield with Tarbuck moving to the left if Rory goes back to LB in Will's absence.

Good few days showing we can play well against teams around us and give ourselves a chance of staying up if we get those results and maybe a point or two against higher teams in the table as well.

#UTH
Owner of 2 Rory Williams shirts that are not suitable for my 35yr old Body Frame.
underthenewstand

Postby Probably Shirts » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:00 am

underthenewstand wrote:Sometimes i do think our subs we make cause ourselves a lot of problems and this something that has been an issue for a lot of Bradders years in charge.

I know he's a bit of a divisive figure on the terraces, but I've noticed that whenever we take Alfie Pavey off the opposition start to get forward a lot more.
Some people accuse him of being lazy, some think he's just not up to it at this level, but somehow I think he does a lot more than we realise. A classic example was against Solihull when he went off and their two centre backs suddenly started to look like Beckenbauer and Moore, which allowed them to press forward and nick the inevitable late winner.
Probably Shirts

Return to Hawk Lounge