Can we play you every week!

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Can we play you every week!

Postby lammy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:51 am

Blimey - what a night!
After weeks of everything that could go wrong, going wrong, last night everything went right.
Played 4-4-2 and we certainly looked more compact with it, even if for the first 30 minutes we didn't do a very good job of keeping the ball.
Scoring with our first set piece helped but the game changer came with the sending off. Don't think the ref had any option.
Getting the second from the resulting free kick killed them and they looked awful from then on.
Second half the confidence started to creep back in to our play and we begin to look more like the side from the first month when we at least matched teams.
Pavey worked hard, running the channels and really stretching their back line which had the most hopeless offside trap you have ever seen. Really pleased to see him getting the goals his efforts deserved and lets hope he kicks on from here.
Biggest ever league win in our history I believe and it has pulled in a group of teams above us.
Still plenty to do but after a month of hell it was a totally unexpected and enjoyable evening.
Onto saturday and lets see if we can carry it on.....
lammy

Re: Can we play you every week!

Postby Adam » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:05 am

That scoreline certainly wasn't high on the list of predicted outcomes from the LondonBranch on our way down the A3 last night. :lol: Hard to judge the performance - a really lovely header to take the lead, but I felt that we were coming under a lot of pressure and struggling to get out of our half up until that moment of madness from the keeper. After that though, a professional performance to take advantage of the situation. Who would be our backup in that situation - I know we've had the likes of Collins & Pearce in the past who were handy with the gloves. Do we have similar now?

Slightly concerned that Ben looks to have a couple of silly or nervy moments per game - didn't hurt us last night obviously, but if you're struggling to score then you don't want to be gifting your opponents any simple chances.

Also, any news on Rory - just a precautionary substitution I hope?
Reserves the right to randomly switch between "glass half full" and "glass half empty" on a whim.
Adam

Postby baz » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:36 am

Thought it was all a dream and expected to wake up and find that we had lost 3-0!!

But it was all for real. The sending off changed the dynamics of the game, but I still didn't feel comfortable even at 2-0, uneasy feeling that we could still cock it up! Second half we showed much more energy and kept the ball much better, not surprising I suppose against 10 men, but full credit to the team for going for kill from the start of the half.

Really pleased for Alfie Pavey, the lad's had a tough time, no doubt about it, but he showed what he is capable of with 2 stunning strikes and is testament to what a small modicum of confidence can do. Also delighted to see the return of Alfie R with a couple of goals as well. Hopefully we can carry on where we left off last night on Saturday and pick up a further 3 points.

COYH
baz

Postby PO6_Hawk » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:12 pm

The goal on 8 minutes was the first real possession we had, and again after that Maidenhead seemed to control the game but similar to our struggles over the past 4/6 weeks, just couldn't break the defense down to nick a goal.

Up until the sending off Maidenhead looked no worse than any other team we've faced and looked comfortable. Had visions of past performances where the opposition just carry on and snatch a set piece goal from no real threat.

However great win, great to fix some goal difference and looked a lot more compact playing 4-4-2.
Another big game Saturday so hopefully this acts as a confidence booster and it's a steady climb to safety!
Credit to all the players and management for bouncing back.
PO6_Hawk

Postby Pompeyred » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:04 pm

Was good to see a 442 formation and a great win hopefully giving us a bit of confidence going forwards now

I thought the strikers were a bit isolated when it was 11 v 11 , without Wes getting ahead of the midfield there’s always a massive gap resulting in the long ball, it’s small beer however as last night it didn’t really matter

Fair play to Maidenhead they didn’t give up but would have been well beaten even with a proper goalie and 11 players,
Pompeyred

Postby KimMannsFan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:17 pm

Alfie P had a cracking strike which fizzed narrowly wide in the dying minutes at Brisbane Road on Saturday. I said then that it would have done his confidence a world of good to see it settle in the corner of the net. Looks like he's got that confidence back now!

And hurrah for 4-4-2!
KimMannsFan

Postby underthenewstand » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 pm

4 4 bloody 2 at last!!!

As much as 352 got us up the leagues the past 2 seasons, 442 will always be my favourite system.

Thought first half Will Wood had his best half for us having Rory in front of him & is growing in confidence by the game to me.

Before Pavey scored he was unlucky with the chance from a tight angle off the post, just need Nicke to get one on Saturday to end his drought.

Still thought Stocky had a poor game and concern this is one season to far for him at this level.

You make your own luck in this game & no matter the keeper was sent off you still have to put your chances away and we did that in the second half no doubt.

Just got to hope that gives us confidence going forward to Saturday.

Up The Hawks.
Owner of 2 Rory Williams shirts that are not suitable for my 35yr old Body Frame.
underthenewstand

Postby Ed Harris' Pint » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:52 pm

As has been said before, it's the games against the teams around us like Maidenhead last night which will be the games we need to pick up points in. And boy did we.

We looked much more comfortable all over the pitch with the 4-4-2. Good to see Rory back and stretching the play. Hopefully his half time sub was just a precaution and he's fit for Saturday.

Great to see both Alfie's grab braces too. Poses a problem for Bradbury on whether you start with Pavey or Rutherford on Saturday.

Onto the next one on Saturday to hopefully grab another 3 points.
Ed Harris' Pint

Postby clive » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:06 am

Or Pavey AND Rutherford

Might be time to give Nicke a little rest he has worked hard this season
The only way I can get on the pitch at WLP!
clive

Postby RKelly » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:25 am

I thought we looked much better up front when Alfie Rutherford came on. I think he played much better alongside Pavey than Kabamba seems to do. So I would start with the two Alfie's up front on Saturday with a 4-4-2 formation. Good to see Strugnell back in the team, and hopefully Rory will start too. All we need now is Fogden to be fit!
RKelly

Next

Return to Hawk Lounge