Gateshead

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Gateshead

Postby King of Spades » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:36 pm

A familiar game at this point. Again more than matching a top half team but not being able to find that extra something to turn it into points. 21st is our position right now, relagation form but in position to pull out of it with a few good results. Still no reason 20th isn't achievable just need a few more things going our way
The new loanees looked good, hopefully some good things to come from them in the next few months as they gel in the team
The lessons learnt from the FA Cup run still live on... Westleigh Park has better paper towel dispensers than Anfield!!

KOS visited grounds - http://www.footballgroundmap.com/king-of-spades
King of Spades

Re: Gateshead

Postby Pompeyred » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Absolutely, we had enough of the ball without that extra quality required in the final third. We aren’t a one man team but we need Wes back soon and could do with a forward who has played at this level a fair bit

At the back it the usual story, one lapse and it’s a goal

We more than matched them today and shouldn’t be too down hearted.
Pompeyred

Postby montyles » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:08 pm

I dont think the loanees brought anything to the game, I would have had them on the bench with strugnell and ibra starting, how can 2 players sign one day and play the next, without knowing any of your team mates. Is Alfie cut out for this league? Gateshead were poor but we were worse. I have been saying that,we are not having the rub of the green, but today we didnt deserve anything. We need points going on the board, as results of the teams around us, will not always go our way
montyles

Postby martin » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:58 pm

Alfie Pavey had a good chance in the first minute or two, he should have hit the target and probably should have scored. He did neither and from then on this felt to me like a game that we could have played till midnight and not scored. Despite probably edging it in terms of "possession" and "territorial advantage" our poor passing in key areas and sub standard delivery from wide areas (with occasional exceptions) meant we never really looked like troubling them much.

Ibra livened things up a bit when he came on and there were a few pockets of decent build up play, but overall we looked a bit disjointed, perhaps partly due to new faces in the team at very short notice.

Gateshead didn't seem to have anything too special about them, but they did the basics very well with great consistency and certainly looked the type of team that would put away a free header from 10 yards if given the opportunity!

Lack of goals becoming an all to apparent issue and we are currently without our 2 most likely to create a chance in Wes and Rory. Having said that the next 7 league games include 5 against teams round about us. This will also take up to the half way stage of the season...can I suggest we need at least 11 points from them?
martin

Postby underthenewstand » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:59 pm

For me one of the problems is the system we play 352 is not working.
Nicke & Pavey just dont look like a partnership that will work together.
We have lots of nice passing play at times but just no real end product, we dont even seem to shoot much from outside the box, only Andreas seems to try but that is only once per game.
Subs made us worse then better today.
But saying all this if come the last whistle of the season we are 20th then i will take that but we have create more chances in games for that to happen.

Always going to be a tough season.#UTH
Owner of 2 Rory Williams shirts that are not suitable for my 35yr old Body Frame.
underthenewstand

Postby baz » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:56 am

Martin's post pretty much sums it up for me. Apart from a couple of times we managed to flash a couple of crosses in their 6 yard box, Gateshead never looked really troubled and basically had control of the game. Their only real clear cut opportunity was put away, and some would say was the perfect away performance. We had a few free kicks around their box but the delivery was woeful in most of them, Stocky had an off day and I think Nicke had his poorest game so far.

We cant fault effort but we lack the quality and cohesion that our opponents seem to have, and I think the Management have a big job on their hands to try and create a settled team. Whilst changes needed to be made we cant keep chopping and changing week after week indefinitely, last time we did that we got relegated! Admittedly injuries haven't helped by affecting key players, but I suspect all teams will suffer from that in due course of the season.

I think at the moment we would bite your hands off Martin for 11points from 7, we're probably going to need 48/50 points in total to escape the drop, and that seems a long way off at the moment.

COYH
baz

Postby Ed Harris' Pint » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:12 pm

Attacking wise, it felt like groundhog day to Wrexham. Other than the previously mentioned crosses, we didn't look like scoring at all. It's a tough league and the last couple of games where we've gone one behind, never really felt we'd get a goal back let alone get another to pick up a win. I think Ibra does bring some link up play when he comes on and this plays to Pavey/Nickes strength more than going long to them. We really do miss Prior playing this way.

But still. It'll be the games against the teams in the bottom half of the table which we need to pick up points in. Hopefully we can progress in the FA Cup next week and get some momentum going for the important games coming up against the teams around us. :thumbup:
Ed Harris' Pint

Postby portsdrifter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:46 pm

An underwhelming display against a solid Gateshead who with players like Willamson in central defence has too much 'knowhow' that negated Hawks forward play. Trying to find that ball over the top won't work at this level and the forwards must improve hold-up play to bring other players in to play and moves can be built and possession retained, to often the forward loose possession before support can get forward to support.. Playing the wing back doesn't seem to work and certainly, Tarbuck would be much more dangerous in a 442 not having to maintain the defensive role.

The two new signings looked OK, the Accrington lad having the better game, but you can't help thinking that one or two old heads , experienced at this level, would have been better signings. Long way to go and we have to win the bottom third mini league games coming up.
portsdrifter

Postby PO6_Hawk » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:22 am

Again very frustrating to watch, Hawks weren't outclassed but just had nothing to break Gateshead down.

I'll give the loan signings the benefit of the doubt being the first game and only signed in the day/s prior to the game. However the loans coming in so far seem no improvement on what was already there unfortunately. I do understand that some have been brought in as injury cover however.

My worry is the midfield, or lack of it. Chances are only created via the wing backs or from long balls out from the back. There's no control in the middle of the park, Stock was seemingly covering all 3 positions on Saturday with Andreas and Bradley anonymous. Stock needs a settled partner (Carter or Lewis) and a returning Fogden if continuing to play the same formation.

I'd personally like to see a lone striker with two filling in behind him. Something like the following when all fully fit:

Dudzinski
Woodford / P. Robinson / Harris
Strugnell / Stock / Carter / Williams
Fogden / Tarbuck
Kabamba

The next 4/5 games are huge and will be the difference between holding our own or start being cut adrift come Christmas.
PO6_Hawk

Postby Andy S » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:21 am

We have to accept that our settled back-to-back title-winning team is starting to break up. It’s necessary to give ourselves a chance of staying where we are - although, obviously, sad at the same time. Tyler Cordner has been excellent. And I would disagree that Andreas Robinson and Alex Bradley were anonymous. Will Wood was decent on Saturday. All three loan signings are here until January at least and we need to get behind them. A welcome break from the league this Saturday at the Met. COYH.
Andy S

Return to Hawk Lounge